Friday, August 6, 2010

Some Cooking Thoughts

08/06/2010

First of all, I don't claim to be a master chef, nor the world's greatest cook. I just enjoy what I do and try my best to take care of my family. I have been cooking for a LONG time. I started bugging my mother when I was around nine years of age to teach me to cook. Because it wasn't her favorite thing to do, she started teaching me. Mama was a good cook, she was just very basic. Mama didn't make her own sauces or experiment much. That's what I like to do. My sister told me she isn't impressed with me because she does the same stuff all the time. But, she did point out that she doesn't do it with the passion that I do it with.

There are just a few things that I absolutely cannot do without when it comes to my cooking or baking. One thing that I MUST have is butter. REAL butter. I only use sweet cream butter and salted butter more often than not. Another thing that many of my main dishes, sauces, and marinades must have is garlic. Whether it is fresh or powdered, I loves my garlic. I even use it on burgers. It just always gives that little hint of somethign extra. In a lot of my baking, I prefer butter-flavored shortening. It has a lower smoke point than butter and adds a bit of extra moisture.

One of my FAVORITE ingredients, that I add whenever I get a chance, is bacon. I know it's bad for you, but, MAN I loves me some bacon! My youngest son loves it, too. when he smells it cooking, he yells, "Bacon!" It reminds me of the commercials for dog treats! When I was pregnant with him, I used to crave just the smell of bacon and onions cooking together!

I think it is essential to have different types of flour on hand. I use cake flour for cakes and cookies. It makes REALLY light cookies. I use bread flour when baking all my breads, including banana bread, pumpkin bread, etc. I use self-rising flour for biscuits, rolls, and homemade pancakes. I keep all purpose flour for everything else. I also always have at least three types of sugars on hand, granulated, brown, and confectioner's. I try to never run out of these things because I never know when a baking mood is going to hit me. If I don't have my ingredients on hand, it really becomes a pain to have to run out and get something.

I love come up with new recipes or improve recipes I have. My family and friends reap the benefits. I know I sound like an old Southern cook, but, that's pretty much what I am! My roots are deep in Southern soil, but, I like to branch out quite often. However, you will NEVER take my butter and bacon away!

No comments: