Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The Preacher's Son

08/03/2010

Chris came along at a time in my life when I honestly wasn't looking for anyone. I had decided (after a really bad break up) that it was time for just me and God. I didn't need a guy, didn't want a guy, and was going to work and (finally) finish school. Who cared that both of my YOUNGER sisters had gotten married already?

Enter my mother. She and my dad started going to a new church. She loved the church, loved the pastor, and loved the pastor's son. She KEPT telling me I needed to meet him. I needed to talk to him. I would like him. He led worship, he sang in church, he played the trumpet, he was single, he was my age, he wasn't dating anyone, blah, blah, blah! I was happy the way I was! Leave me alone! MOTHER! He is TWENTY-FIVE years old, lives with his parents, and works at Bi-Lo! I DON'T think so! Little did I know she was harassing him, too. Showing him my picture, telling him I was in college, blah, blah blah.

So, one Sunday, I showed up at church (drove an hour to do it) so she would shut up and leave me alone. I walk in, she is thrilled. Chris comes out of the back. I am not impressed. He was ok. I didn't like his hairstyle. It was too old for him. Mama calls him over and introduces us. He shakes my hand, says, "nice to meet you," talks to Mama a minute and walks away. I'm going, "wow, jerk." I drove an hour to be here. Oh well, your loss.

THEN, we see the girl. Oh, yes. He had a girl at church with him that Sunday. My mother is incensed. "He told me he wasn't dating anyone!" I'm going, "YAY!! Now she will leave me alone!" After church, we go to my car because Mama wants to ride to the house with me. Well, I have a cup leaking and pouring soda all in my car (my purple baby!). I told Mama I was going to take it inside the church to throw it away, I couldn't just throw it out. I'm not a litterbug! Anyway, I wanted to give the pastor's son one last chance to see what he was missing...(keep in mind, I was young, cute, and skinny, then). So, then, I took Mama home.

I went back to Cleveland that night because I had to work. After work, I tried to call Mama. I couldn't get her. I tried, and tried. Daddy was at work and hadn't heard from her. I finally got in touch with my grandmother. She told me Mama had been in an accident. I got in touch with her at the hospital. She asked me to call her pastor and tell him what had happened. UGH! Ok, Mama.

So, I called Pastor Lumley. I let him know she had been in an accident. She had blacked out driving, but was ok. He told me, "Chris is just kicking himself. He knew she wasn't feeling well at church tonight and feels like maybe he should have followed her home or something." I told him to tell him not to do that and asked if he were there to make sure he would get the message. So, he says, "Yeah, hold on. I'll get him." UGH!! I didn't want to TALK to the guy, just give him the message!

So, Chris gets on the phone. It is nearly midnight. I have classes the next day and he has to work, so, I try to make it short and sweet. I mean, he had to be at work at 6:00 AM. We got off the phone at 5:30 AM because he needed a shower. I went to bed and missed classes that day. The date was January 4-5 1998...

3 comments:

David and Donna said...

It is funny how the people we end up with come into our lives. I disliked David very much when we first met. Now 19 years later we are still happy together, and while I remember why I did not like him I can not believe I almost let my 1st impression of him be my last impression of him.

Shannon Lumley said...

Donna, I seem to remember you telling me about that years ago! It is funny how things change. There is a lot more to this story that I will be adding...

Anonymous said...

Isnt it amazing how things come about in our lives? Blogs are great shannon..keep them coming...tiffany r.