Sunday, August 1, 2010

My Daughter




My daughter is a joy, an angel, a diva, and a terror! She is such a loving child. She sat with me in church this morning with her head on my shoulder, holding my hand, fingers interlocked. She is absolutely the sweetest child...when she wants to be. We had the two boys when I got pregnant with her. Chris informed me, "Alright. You've got your two little boys to spoil, I WANT my little girl!" Of course he knew, that was totally up to him, I just had to get her here.

My pregnancy with Abbi was so easy! I had very little morning sickness, worked a full-time, on my feet job, had no health problems. I DID have some cravings, though! I would go on my lunch break to different restaurants to get food. I would go to one for a BBQ sandwich and another for cheese tater tots and a hot fudge sundae. Or go get a fish meal at one and to another for a hot fudge sundae. Or, I would get a salad at one and get a hot fudge sundae at another...seeing a pattern here? Also, EVERY night I ate either a bowl of Lucky Charms or Count Chocula before bed. How much weight did I gain you ask? 12 pounds. I know, sick, right?

Anyway, 37 weeks later, here comes Miss Priss. You may not know that "Abigail" means "a father's joy". Let me tell you how she proved this. The doctor was concerned because she was three weeks early. I kept going into labor and finally at 37 weeks, he decided to take her. Nathan and Matt were so big, we did a C-section and had decided to do one for Abbi, too. Anyway, the doctor was concerned about her lungs. He was afraid they might be a bit under-developed. Well, start the surgery. He makes the incision, and gets her head out. She starts screaming. Most babies don't scream this soon. Abbi decided to let everyone know she was here.

She continued to scream. One shoulder out, screaming, two shoulders out, screaming, belly, butt, legs, more screaming. They take her to clean her up, she screams. They take her to weigh her, she screams. By now, EVERYONE is laughing. Someone said, "Nothing wrong with THOSE lungs!" She weighed 6 lb 12 oz, was 19 1/2 inches long and THREE weeks early. AND, she continued to scream.

Chris walks over to check on her. She is laying in the bassinette, still screaming. Chris tells her, "It's ok, Daddy's here." He put his right hand down beside her. She reaches out with her left hand, grasps his pinky, and STOPS screaming. It was instant. That was the second I lost my husband to another woman :)

2 comments:

Tammy Drawdy said...

Oh my Gosh! I'm CRYING! I just BURST into tears at that last line! You are awesome!

Shannon Lumley said...

Well, thank you! I didn't mean to make anyone cry, LOL. Chris was a goner when she did that and looked at him. She was a wide-eyed baby. Eyes wide open all the time taking in everything. I am happy you enjoyed this post.