Saturday, August 7, 2010

Raising Twins III

Bear in mind that Chris and I were technically still newlyweds when we had two babies. We were married exactly 9 months and two days when we brought home two babies. We had known each other 11 months when we brought home two babies. It is a good thing we had two first because we didn't know any different. We had nothing to compare it to. We just did what we needed to do. Diaper changes were done assembly line. When one woke up to eat, the other one would be awakened and fed. They were pretty easy babies once we figured them out.

I was stubborn at first and thought we would just do it all by ourselves. Poor Chris had started back to school and was working full-time. I didn't last long nursing and had to supplement when I did, so, I gave that up after about six weeks. Chris would wake up some nights long enough to put a bottle in a mouth and go back to sleep. I took care of the burping, changing, and back to bed. He would get up in the morning, get ready for work or class and I would have a day with babies. A lot of mornings, he would ask if I wanted my "bed bugs" before he left. They slept longer in the bed with me.

Our first New Year's together, we had two three-week-old babies. I was exhausted! Around 11:30 PM on New Year's Eve, I got both babies to sleep. Chris had been asleep for a while. On the STROKE of midnight, both babies started wailing! My "newlywed" husband didn't move. I truly think he believed if he didn't move, they would stop crying, like some dinosaurs whose vision was based on movement, the babies would stop if they thought nobody was there. I said, "HAPPY FREAKING NEW YEAR!" Then, Chris moved. He slowly reached down, and pulled the covers over his head, afraid of what I was going to do next. Well, I got up, picked up two babies, handed him one, and we put them back to sleep. It was shortly after that I called in the "Grandma Cavalry" and we slept for ten hours straight :D

No comments: