Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Preacher's Son II

08/04/2010

The date is now January 5, 1998. Chris went to work and took a nap. I slept away my morning classes and went to my afternoon ones. When I got back, I paged him. Hey! It was 12.5 years ago! Anyway, he called me back. We talked for a couple of hours. Then, he said something about wishing he could see me. So, I gave him directions to my apartment in Cleveland. He drove over an hour to see me in person.

He looked better this time. Not quite so formal, albeit a bit messy. (I took care of that after we married, some of THOSE clothes disappeared, mysteriously) Well, we spent the evening talking. LATE into the evening we talked. I sat on the couch. He sat in a chair. Since it was right after Christmas, there were still decorations sitting around. He was playing with a piece of holly while we talked. He then said, "You know what I was thinking? I was wishing this was mistletoe." I played REALLY hard to get and said, "Who says you need mistletoe?" Our first kiss. The sweetest, most toe curling kiss I had ever had :)

Chris drove to Cleveland again the next day when he got off work. Once again, he stayed until the wee hours of the morning. I wasn't getting a lot of rest or a lot of school done. We just couldn't seem to STOP talking once we got started! It was almost as if we were making up for a lifetime of NOT being with each other.

On Wednesday, I had to work. Chris didn't drive to Cleveland because he had to help his Daddy with the church service. When he got out of church, he called me.We talked until two or three in the morning, once again. Trust me! You DON'T want to know about the phone bills!

On Thursday, January 8th, Chris came back to Cleveland to see me. We had gotten VERY comfortable with each other. We learned a lot in a very short amount of time. We still spent so much time talking! We couldn't get enough of each other or just spending time together. We had moved to sitting together on the couch when we talked. During the course of our conversations, we got to aggravating each other. I am a pretty ticklish person, and so is Chris. In the course of this teasing/wrestling, we managed to roll off of the couch. Chris broke my fall by landing on his back. I landed smack on top of him! How embarassing! He then looks at me and says, "I had a crazy thought." I waited. He said, "Do you wanna get married?"

No comments: