Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A Test of Faith

This week has been possibly the most difficult one since our move. In the seven weeks we have been in Ames, we have had three hailstorms, two tornado warnings, multiple thunderstorms, two power outages (one for 41 hours), and now the flooding. The one thing I keep hearing from people is, "Welcome to Iowa!" However, I am learning, that this really is NOT a typical summer.

Today, my emotions have run the gamut. I have had fear, relief, worry, stress, exhaustion, and exasperation. However, the most predominant emotion I have felt has been thankfulness. The office Chris works out of is just a few miles from our home. He was called in around 1:30 this morning to help sandbag the place. Then, he was asked to drive the shuttle and help evacuate stranded students. When he got off work, I had to experience the fear and worry. He couldn't get home! Every road he took, he ended up having to find another route. It took him nearly three hours to get home. I was very relieved when he made it!

I was exhausted before I ever got out of bed. I had stayed up late reading and listening to the storm. I do like thunderstorms. I finally went to sleep a little after midnight. Then the phone rang for Chris to go to work. Then, he called around 6:00 AM to tell me he was stranded. Benjamin was in my bed and restless. Then, Chris called again about 45 minutes later to say he was still stranded. Then, Benjamin woke up. Well, I had to give it up and get up, too.

The flooding started getting worse. There are three highways in/around Ames that are closed. We are essentially locked in right now. Luckily, there are a lot of places within walking distance for us. However, supplies are difficult to get through. Then, came the water main break.

There is a water main that runs under a creek here in town. The creek (Squaw Creek) has flooded to such a point that the ground underneath it shifted. The main burst and now creek water is mixing in with the clean water and we are under water restrictions. I boiled water on all four burners, filled as many things as I could with water, made tea and filled ice trays. The news said for people to not take showers or flush toilets. That is a little exasperating.

Thankful. Yep. I am thankful. I am thankful that our house is mostly dry. There is just a little seepage in the basement. I am thankful that we have plenty of food for a few days. I am thankful that the Fareway grocery store chain set up a transfer truck full of water and was giving away two gallons of water per family member for every vehicle that drove up. I am thankful that my family is safe and dry. I think James said it best, "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, when you face trials of many kinds." (James 1:2 NIV) I am considering this a joy because, I know God sent us here. I know we are here for a purpose. And I know, we wouldn't be facing trials right now if "someone" weren't scared...

2 comments:

David and Donna said...

It will get better, or you will get use to the weather pattern. Either way, you will not always feel this way. Keep the end goal in mind and know you have been called there for a reason.

Shannon Lumley said...

Thank you, Donna. I am trying to keep my confidence up. It's not easy.