Friday, August 13, 2010

I Am A Nerd

I have to admit that I am a nerd. I am a bookworm. I love Science. I like to learn. I buy books so I can read them and read them again. I get excited about things that make people look at me funny. I like watching TV shows that teach me things.

Before our move, I had the heartbreaking (to me!) chore of thinning out our books. I took three bins full of books to the used book store. I mean literally, three large Rubbermaid totes. We put books in yardsales, as well. However, we still have a dozen shelves of books right now as well as at least two more totes in the basement full of books. I had to keep some of them! I had to keep books that the kids would want to read (which they do! YAY!) I had to keep the classics. I had to keep the books that Chris wanted to use as references. I had to keep the books that I wanted to use as references. I can't make it without some amount of books! I have purchased books since we moved, too.

What do I read, you ask? Everything. I am the type of person who has to decide for myself. I need to read it instead of listening to the hype. I want to know what gets everyone up at arms. My books run a WIDE range! I recently went to Border's Books and bought three books. One was on the creatures in the deep ocean. One was on Inca and Aztec history. The other was a Christian fiction novel written by an author I like and the second book in a series I had begun. I love book series. I like to read continuing sagas. I also like numerous authors. I have read all the Harry Potter books. I have read all of the Percy Jackson books. I also read Janette Oke and Tracie Peterson. They are two of my favorite Christian fiction authors. I read Dan Brown and Frank Peretti. I read John Grisham and Ted Dekker. I avoided the "Twilight" series forever. Then I found a copy of the first one, got started reading, and couldn't put it down. I devour books. Chris gets really jealous of my ability to tune out and tune in to my book. Yet, while, I am reading, I still know what is going on with the kids. I can watch TV and read at the same time. It makes him crazy (not a far trip...).

I love to watch the Science Channel, Discovery, Animal Planet, TLC, etc. I enjoy being taught about how things happen. I like learning about new animals found in the jungle. I relish learning of theories behind development of various species. I thrive on watching shows about Egyptian history and the discoveries made in Egypt. I get excited when I get the opportunity to watch a show teaching the history behind the Bible or the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls.

I thoroughly enjoy taking my kids to places where they can learn. I like to plan day trips to dairy farms. I make plans for them to get dirty picking vegetables at a vegetable farm. I spend time with them going to gold mines and panning for gold. We have grubbed for gemstones. We have gone to zoos. We have gone to aquariums. We plan to go to the Amana Colonies. We plan to go to Living Heritage Farms. I am constantly looking for ways to have fun and learn at the same time. I can't help it. I am a nerd :)

No comments: