Monday, August 16, 2010

Some Couponing Thoughts

I used coupons for quite a while, then, I stopped. It got to be too much work. What I wanted wasn't always on sale. I had a coupon, but, it didn't bring the price down enough. I didn't have coupons for what I DID want when it went on sale. The Sunday paper didn't have many coupons in it. There were all kinds of reasons why I stopped. But, I did get started again.

The first thing that got me started again was CVS. I had started using their CVS bucks again. I then started matching up the bucks with coupons and getting better deals. Then, I started thinking about using them again in grocery stores. After that, I found out about coupon websites and manufacturer sites. You can download and print your coupons! This was amazing! The final kicker for me was when I learned of a couple of grocery stores that DOUBLED coupons! That was amazing! So, a $0.60 coupon is now worth $1.20?! Are you kidding me??? I am IN!

I learned from a great website that caters to southern stores that groceries tend to go on sale in six-week cycles. If your favorite brand is on sale, stock up with at least six weeks worth. In the long run, this WILL save you money. When you can use a coupon on top of a sale price, it always comes out better, check the ads. Once you check the ads, match your coupons to the ads. Something that is buy-one-get-one free is MORE than 50% off when you add a coupon! I like more than 50% off! It makes me feel good!

I was saddened to learn that there are no stores in Iowa that double grocery coupons. However, the average price of groceries here is a bit lower. So, in Tennessee, I was always shooting for at least 55% savings on my bill. Here, my goal is at least 45% savings. I feel I have really accomplished something if I can make that. Case in point: I have to feed a family of seven. Our average grocery bill for a month is less than $500. This includes toiletries, toilet paper, and cleaning supplies. Also, I bought school supplies for four children. I also stocked up on a number of things for them to have throughout the school year. I spent less than $100 on ALL of their school supplies together.

Here is the last thing I have to say on this topic. You will ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS do better if you shop grocery and drug stores with coupons and sales than you will ever do at major retail or bulk shopping stores. They may have the cheaper price initially. However, when you get a product in their store, and add a coupon, you will never save 50% or more on that item. In grocery stores, you can always save when you match up the sales with the coupons. I rarely pay more than $1.50 for some of my children's favorite NAME-BRAND cereals. (You know, the kind your mama told you not to eat because it would rot your teeth out...still got all mine, thanks Mom!) I NEVER pay more than $1.00 a box for microwave popcorn. Deodorant, shampoo, toothpaste, etc...I honestly couldn't tell you the last time I paid actual cash for these things due to CVS bucks (which I can't get anymore, waaaaahhhh!!!) and Register Rewards at Walgreen's. Try a few of these tips and see how they work for you! Feel free to message me any time if you have questions or want help getting started!

1 comment:

David and Donna said...

I agree with everything written here. I started using coupons and CVS Bucks about a year and a half ago. It was hard to get started but after a few weeks it became like second nature to me to shop this way.

Your kids and spouse my fight you at first, because you don't buy what they want when they want it. My family learned quickly that when the item went on sale and I had a coupon it would be purchased.