Thursday, December 30, 2010

A Journey

This Christmas has been a journey for me in more ways than one. We took the entire break and drove down to be with family. We had to carefully schedule our days to maximize time with each side of the family AND have time with friends. I have really struggled lately with trying to figure out where I belong.

I know I don't belong in the town I went to high school in. I still have loved ones and some wonderful friends there. I have some of my longest standing friends there, but, it doesn't feel like home. I truly just feel like a visitor, even though, I could tell you where everything is and where everyone still lives.

We then went to another side of Georgia. I know this isn't my home because I have never lived there. We have been lovingly invited several times, but, we don't belong there. It is always nice to visit and see the family we have there, however.

After that visit, we went back to the town we spent our entire married life in. We were welcomed back with open arms by some more recently made lifelong friends. However, there were so many changes in just six months, I was astounded. It kind of felt like home, but, it was more of a "this is where I came from" feeling. I am very excited to be here and get to see the friends and family we left in this town. I am happy for the love we have been shown since we have been here. It lets me know, we belonged when we were here.

The last leg of our journey begins in about a day and a half. I can honestly say, I am ready. I am no longer struggling with where I belong. I know where I belong. I belong with my family, wherever it is. I belong where God has placed us. I belong where I am. I am making a difference where I am. I am making new friends where I am. I am building new relationships where I am. Will they take the place of the old differences, friends, and relationships? NEVER! I have just been given a wonderful opportunity to replay things I have done before in a new setting. :)

2 comments:

Tammy Drawdy said...

Wonderful! This is my story ... and I love how it ended ... or should I say ... "paused"!
To be continued ...

Charlotte said...

That is wonderful, I missed alot when I moved the first time, but it doesn't feel the same to visit now...I am glad you are feeling more confident in those choices.