Thursday, August 26, 2010

Raising Twins IV

I had all of these wonderful ideas of how it would be to raise twins. I initially said a lot of "I will not's" and "I would never's". I said I wouldn't get them confused. Oh my gosh!! They looked so much alike that we had to do something! Their hospital bracelets stayed on them until they were about three or four months old! We didn't take them off until the boys outgrew them! They were so difficult to tell apart! We only knew for a while that Nathan was "Baby A" and Matthew was "Baby B", so, that is what we used to tell them apart. Once their personalities and looks became a little more pronounced, we didn't need the bracelets any more. They still confuse me once in a while. Luckily, now, I can even tell their voices apart!

I said I would NEVER give them rhyming names. I managed to do that, sort of. Matt is actually Christopher Matthew and Nathan is Nathanael Loander. Nathan and Matthew was close enough to rhyming for my taste. Then my goofy cousin said he was going to call them "Matt" and "Nat", which had never occurred to me, and I nearly lost it on him! I finally just said, "he is not a BUG!!" So, problem solved. Then, Nathan THOUGHT about letting his friends call him "Nat" until Mama put her foot down.

I said I wouldn't be one of "those" parents who dressed their twins alike all the time. I lied. It started with baby shower outfits. It became convenient. It also became a habit to buy two of everything when shopping. It became a way of keeping track. Two boys in the same shirt were a lot easier to keep up with in a store or somewhere else than two boys in different outfits! Also, I couldn't put one boy in a baseball outfit and a ballerina outfit! I mean, come on! There's only so much cute stuff out there for boys, anyway! I still buy two of most everything. Now, I do it just so they won't fight over shirts, pants, shoes, etc. I may get the same shirt in a different pattern or color. I may buy six of the same pair of jeans, just because they are boys and the same size. Besides, this way, technically, they each have double the wardrobe!

No comments: