Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Raising Twins


I don't even know where to begin with this post. Raising identical twins is a joy, a pleasure, and a challenge! You may not know that Chris and I were married 8 weeks and found out I was 6 1/2 weeks along with twins! That brings all kinds of excitement and panic! The most important thing was for me to do my VERY best to keep them in as long as possible and get them as big as possible. This is NOT as easy as one might think considering I am 5'3" tall! I was ALL baby! The boys were born three weeks early and I measured as if I were 8 weeks overdue!

Well, my healthy baby boys started out at a healthy 6 lbs a piece and 19 inches long. Give a quarter pound and quarter inch to Matt over Nathan. Now it's about 5 lbs and 3/4". They were so identical we had to leave their hospital bracelets on them until they outgrew them! Luckily, by then, we could tell them apart :P

The most fun thing about Nathan and Matt is that their personalities are so distinct! Even in the womb, we could tell they had different personalities. Nathan is VERY intense! He is the go-getter who jumps into any situation and has a ball. Matthew is more analytical. He is more laid back and thinks about things a bit more than his brother who is gung-ho. However, together, they have ALWAYS been mischevious.

Their mischief knew no bounds when they were little. It is a little more controlled and precise now. They REALLY plan it out. One of the earliest bits of mischief they got into was when they were 18 months old. They were in the nursery at church. The nursery worker watched them sit down together. They had name tags on their backs. They took the tags off of each other, swapped, and put them back on the other one. Oh yes! They started early fooling people. Once, when they were 10 months, they INTENTIONALLY looked at me every time I called their names. However, NATHAN would look when I said, "Matthew" and MATT would look every time I said, "Nathan". They did this for a couple of minutes! It was VERY intentional.

Another bit of mischief they got into was when they were around two. They were supposed to have been taking a nap. They were in our bedroom. After a bit of time, I told Chris that I smelled something, and it smelled sweet. Then he smelled it. So, he got up and checked on the boys because it seemed to be coming from our room. I hear Chris say, "BOYS!" He then reaches for the light switch, turns it on, causing the ceiling fan to come on and a CLOUD of baby powder to come flying out the bedroom door. They had emptied the ENTIRE bottle of baby powder all OVER our bedroom!

I will leave off for now. There are so many more stories I could share, but I will save them for later. I hope you enjoyed this!

2 comments:

Tammy Drawdy said...

Shannon! I saved your blog in my favs! (now I can get back to it easily!) I enjoy reading about your sweet family so much and this truly is your calling! Your children are very blessed to have such a loving mother. I think you are a truly amazing woman and child of God ... and I am so thankful to Perry for requesting you all as people I might want to befriend on FaceBook! Thank you for sharing with us! I'm looking forward to trying your recipes and reading more about your family! Many, many blessings! ~ Tammy ~

Shannon Lumley said...

Thank you so much! I am so glad you are enjoying this! I am having fun with it right now. I don't know how often I will be adding once school starts. I want feedback on the recipes!