Sunday, October 24, 2010

Public Schools vs Homeschooling

I teach in a public school. I always have. I have always wanted to. My children go to public schools. I am a product of public schools. My husband is a product of public schools. It really bothers me to hear people bashing public schools and talking about how much better homeschooling is than public schools will ever be.

First of all, before anyone gets offended, let me say, if homeschooling is the choice you made, more power to you. If you have the finances, time, organization skills, and energy to homeschool your children, good for you! It is not something I would enjoy, nor prefer to do. I like teaching one subject, and teaching older children. I can tell you right now, my youngest would make me insane were I to try to corral him and teach him multiple subjects by myself.

I understand some people's reasoning for choosing homeschooling. The ones that bother me are the "religious" ones. "I don't want my child exposed to that", " I don't want my child being a product of the world", "I don't want my child to hear some of the things they will hear in public schools." I ask this, where did Jesus minister? Where would He minister? Public schools are my ministry and my children's ministry.

I get to be a living breathing example of Christ every day in a public place. I get to show my students God's love by being an example of His love. I get to show compassion and teach the Word without ever saying a word. My students know where I stand and how I believe without my ever having to preach to them. How? Because I LIVE it in front of them. They know I go to church, they know I don't use profanity, or give in to a lot of the temptations they have seen. I answer direct questions, but, I do not automatically tell my students how I believe. That is not what I am there for. I am there to be an example. I am there to live a Godly life in front of them. I am there to show them God's love in action.

My children are a light to their world. How do I know this? Because they tell me. My youngest is six. He was explaining to his Daddy this morning (I had already heard the story) about his friend at school who does not believe in God. Benjamin continues to tell him that God is real and God does exist. It is our job to teach them about God at home, which we have done and to put them where Jesus would have been the rest of the time.

1 comment:

David and Donna said...

I agree with you, we need to put ourselves and our kids into the world to be a shining light to others, not hide our light from the world. We need to be the church.